Friday, March 22, 2013

"7 Quick Takes Friday" #10: Popes, Peeps, and Little Lambs


--- 1 ---
I can't believe it's Friday again already!  How did that happen?  Time has been flying for me lately.

It seems like it was only yesterday we were hearing the news that the papal conclave had elected a new shepherd, Pope Francis (the First!).  Like so many Catholics (and non-Catholics, too, I'm sure), the more I get to know him, the fonder I become of our new Holy Father.  His humility is so endearing, as is his genuine love and concern for the poorest of God's children.

We were down in VA visiting with three of our sons when the white smoke rose from the Vatican smokestack, and our middle son's girlfriend was just on Cloud 9 about the election of former Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina, about whom she knew much more than my husband and I did.  Not long afterward, she showed us this picture collage (which she later texted to me), of our new pope and the two holy men who held the office before him.  Pope Francis appears to be a bit shyer than his predecessors, with his hesitant little wave.  Hi, Papa!
I'm sure this picture has gone viral, so I'm probably not showing you something you haven't seen yet; but you didn't hear the darling comment this lovely young lady made about it.  "Awww," she said with a smile that lit up her whole face, her voice filled with pure joy and daughterly affection for Pope Francis, "look at him--LIT-TLE LAMB!!"  Her words struck me for a couple of reasons: there was such sincere love in the tender term of endearment she used; and it was such a fitting way to describe our new pope, who has been elected to the lofty position of shepherd of the worldwide Catholic Church but appears to regard himself as one of the littlest lambs in Christ's flock.
--- 2 ---
Speaking of that trip to VA, here are the three sons we visited with down there (sons #3 and #4, who live there, and son #5, who came down from Notre Dame for his spring break).
Am I allowed to say my own sons are handsome?  (Never mind.  Even if you tell me I'm not, I'm sayin' it.)
--- 3 ---
We're finally starting to see a lot more females in our family pictures.  This little cutie is son #4's girlfriend.
--- 4 ---
And this other cutie pie is son #3's girlfriend.  She's the one who dubbed the new Holy Father "Little Lamb."
--- 5 ---
I guess I really felt like sharing pictures today, didn't I?  That's one good way to fill up a lot of "Takes" with a minimum of words!  And you get to see my adorable kids.  Win-win.

I can't help it--I'm so proud of my boys (and girls)!  I may not be completely proud of my baby's t-shirt in the above photos (and if you've never seen the SNL "Jeopardy" skit where Will Ferrell plays the show's host, Alex Trebek, then it probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense), but it makes for a good conversation starter among his peeps.  (Mmmm....Peeps. Now I'm just thinking about Easter candy.  I wrote a mildly funny post about son #4 and Peeps once, way back when I was a newbie blogger, if you want to check it out here.)
--- 6 ---
When I told my husband I didn't know if I should do "7 Quick Takes Friday" this week because I wasn't sure I had seven good tidbits to share, he helpfully suggested that this should be the "Notre Dame Sports Edition" and then went on to tick off how each and every team out there is currently doing.  He got to #6 and trailed off, then remembered that #7 could just be a reminder to check out the other Quick-Takesters over at  Jennifer Fulwiler's Conversion Diary.  So...voila!  Problem solved.  I had my marching orders.

I hope the poor guy isn't going to be disappointed that I'm only dedicating one of my "Takes" to his beloved Irish.

The first Notre Dame sports team he thought I should highlight was the women's basketball team, but I think that's just because he has a crush on superstar Skylar Diggins.  (He doesn't seriously dig her; it's just a sports crush, kind of like the one I used to have on Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek.  So we're even now.)
But Skylar and the rest of the gals really do deserve a mention.  They have created a bit of a women's basketball dynasty out in South Bend in recent years.  This season, they ended up with a 31-1 record (which included beating perennial powerhouse Connecticut three times--take that, lady Huskies!), they won the Big East regular season crown--not to mention the school's first Big East tournament crown (ever!), and they enter the NCAA tournament on Sunday as the #1 seed.  Not too shabby.
--- 7 ---
Okay, just one more thing before you head over to Conversion Diary.  I'm asking you to pray for my sweet boy, son #4 (he's in the light blue shirt above).  He leaves soon for a six-month deployment to a war zone.  If you wouldn't mind, please pray for his mother while you're at it.  She sure could use some prayers as well.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

11 comments:

  1. Prayers coming your way! Have a beautiful weekend. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! This will be the third time we'll have a son on deployment. I wish that meant I'm getting used to it and it's getting easier, but I think it gets harder each time.

      Delete
  2. Little Lamb!!! He is wonderful! Long Live Papa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we didn't know about Jim's deployment. You both will be in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be praying! And please send me his address as soon as you know it (along with anything he may like to get in a care package) so I can send him a nice box over there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll pray for your son! My brother is there on a 9 month deployment and my husband and I pray for him and all our servicemen every night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, Rini, and Erika--a million thanks. Prayers mean everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you and him! You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Hey, I love the look of your blog. It's very familiar. ;)

      Can't wait to see your wedding photos.

      Delete
  8. Prayers for you and your sons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, there can never be enough of those!

      Delete