Friday, October 26, 2012

Trick-or-Treating (4)

The subtitle for today's post is "Spotlight on My Baby."

Two of my recent Halloween-themed posts have included pictures of my four oldest sons dressed up to go trick-or-treating--long before son #5, my baby, came on the scene.  Therefore, just so that he doesn't feel  left out, today's post is going to be devoted entirely to him!  You wouldn't believe how many times--back when he was knee-high to a grasshopper--we would be talking about some past event and his little voice would pipe up, "Was I alive yet?"  When he was young, the five-year age gap between him and his closest brother seemed as wide as the Grand Canyon.  Poor sweetie!

But baby, the spotlight's on you today!  And boy, are you ever ALIVE!

Before I show you the costume my youngest son wore when he was going on 5 years old--one of those rare store-bought costumes that I purchased on-sight, because it was utterly PERFECT for him--I have to tell you that this boy could do a T-Rex roar like nobody's business.  It sounded exactly like that of the fearsome beast in the movie "Jurassic Park."  I'm embarrassed to reveal that at that tender age, he'd already viewed "The Making of Jurassic Park."  (This was a video we'd made our older guys watch before we let them see the real deal, so that the movie-making magic and special effects wizardry would be revealed and they wouldn't be frightened by the realism of the movie's dinosaurs.)  My baby had watched it along with his big brothers, and he'd studied the T-Rex closely.  Very closely.  He was obsessed with that JP T-Rex.  He used to stomp around the house roaring and swinging his head from side to side, with his arms scrunched into his chest and two hooked fingers on each hand.  That boy WAS a T-Rex!  So when I found this perfect little T-Rex costume, I had no choice but to buy it for him on the spot.
The T-Rex costume was not retired on November 1 that year, not by any stretch of the imagination.  No, in fact it was worn for a good while after Halloween--often, and everywhere. You probably didn't know this, but a T-Rex costume is perfectly acceptable 5-year-old attire, for anything from playing in your front yard to grocery shopping with your mom.  And it makes the most glorious p.j.'s imaginable.

So as far as I'm concerned, that was $20 well-spent. Definitely.

Okay, son, I hope you enjoyed this moment in the spotlight.

Oh, no...now we need to TURN THE LIGHT OFF!  TURN THE LIGHT OFF!!  

(And if you don't get that reference, you really must see that classic movie, "Jurassic Park"!)



1 comment:

  1. Oh my Gosh!! I will have to find the one of Nick in a dinosaur costume!! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete