Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Prayer to Our Lady

I have lots to do today to get ready for our next trip. We're getting up at about 2:00 a.m. tomorrow to catch an early flight out to the Midwest to see our youngest son at college; and it just so happens that a niece who's getting married this summer (who happens to have the same name as yours truly) is having her "bachelorette party" out there this weekend, so I get to be a part of that happy event, too. Our nieces are so awesome; they always want to include their aging aunts in all of their youthful celebrations. In fact, all the kids in our family really seem to like us old-timers. How lucky are we?

I'm looking forward to the weekend's festivities (except for the flying, of course); but I have to get some things done around here before I can feel ready to take off. Again. We just returned from a trip to AL and VA on Monday, and we're back in the air again on Friday. Yikes! Flying is my life these days--AAARRRGGGHHH!!! But I will keep doing it if it means I get to see my kids and my grandkids. Besides, flying is good for my prayer life. I pray and pray, and then I pray some more. Never do I feel less in control than when I'm sitting in an airplane seat, and it reminds me that no matter how in control I might normally feel, I never really am. The Man upstairs is running the show, and I have to remember that He's the one who knows best.

Anyway, as long as we're talking about prayer, I thought I'd share a wonderful one with you. You may have heard it before, but it bears repeating. My husband gets choked up whenever he hears this lovely ode to the Blessed Mother. It's called "To Our Lady."

Lovely Lady dressed in blue,
Teach me how to pray!
God was just your little Boy,
Tell me what to say!
Did you lift Him up, sometimes,
Gently on your knee?
Did you sing to Him the way
Mother does to me?
Did you hold His hand at night?
Did you ever try
Telling stories of the world?
O! And did He cry?
Do you really think He cares
If I tell Him things--
Little things that happen?
And do the Angels' wings
Make a noise? And can He hear
Me if I speak low?
Does He understand me now?
Tell me--for you know.
Lovely Lady dressed in blue,
Teach me how to pray!
God was just your little Boy,
And you know the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment