Thursday, March 10, 2011

30th Anniversary

Thirty years ago, I married my best friend. (Not thirty years ago from this date; our 30th anniversary was actually a few months ago, on December 27, 2010...but I hadn't yet become a blogger when we hit that milestone. This is a belated shout-out.)

You can tell how very LONG ago we got married by the fact that everyone threw rice at us as we came out of St. John's Church for the first time as a married couple. I've heard that this is no longer considered an animal-friendly thing to do; but back then, we had no idea that rice expands in birds' bellies and can cause them to explode.

Sorry, birds. :(

This was the happiest day of my life, so happy that I was oblivious to the fact that it was bitterly, bitingly cold outside--even though all I had on over my gown was my grandmother's lightweight fringed shawl, which she'd loaned to me for my big day to use as my "something borrowed."

My husband and I are even more in love now than we were back then (it's a tired cliche, but it's so true)--so here's to thirty more years!

No comments:

Post a Comment